Get prepared!

  • Student visa

    Visa application procedure

    Visa application procedures vary from one country to another. Contact the International Office of your home university to know the procedure to be followed. UCO will send you a letter of acceptance that will be needed for your visa application.

    OFII application form

    Upon arrival in France, you will be requested to register with OFII, the French Office for Immigration and Integration, located in Nantes. To do this, hand in the application form given by the French Embassy to the International Office, together with photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

    • Passport number page
    • Identity page with photo
    • Page bearing your date of entry in the country
    • Visa page

    OFII will send you a receipt to be stapled to your passport and subsequently ask you to attend an interview in Nantes (Rezé) where an official sticker (cost 60€) will be affixed to your passport.

    Residence permit

    If your visa expires prior to the end of your stay at UCO, you should apply for a residence permit. All formalities can be completed at the International Office.

  • Étudiante en programme d'échange au campus UCO Angers


    Health insurance

    EU students

    All EU students should be in possession of a European Health Insurance Card issued by the competent health authority in their country of origin.

    Non-EU students (except Quebec)

    All non-EU students (except citizens of Quebec) must be insured under the French social security system (2017-2018 fee: 217 €). The registration procedure is conducted upon the student’s arrival at UCO. For this purpose each student is required to produce a certified copy of their birth certificate translated into French by an approved translator.

    This insurance scheme provides up to 70% coverage for health expenses. Additional reimbursement may be obtained by taking out a complementary student health insurance. Further information relevant to the subject will be provided at information meetings.
    The plan LMDE (La Mutuelle Des Étudiants)
    55, bd du Roi René
    B.P. 424
    49000 ANGERS
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 87 16 55

    SMEBA (Société Mutualiste des Étudiants de Bretagne-Atlantique)
    50 bis, bd du Roi René (face au RU des Beaux-Arts)
    B.P. 705
    49007 ANGERS CEDEX 01
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 20 82 82

    Students from Quebec

    Quebec students coming on a higher education exchange programme must hold a certificate attesting membership of the Quebec social security scheme (SE401Q106).

    Tenant’s insurance

    Your landlord will ask you to take out a tenant’s insurance when you move in. The International Office will help you through the process.

    Personal insurance

    It is your responsibility to take out a private insurance policy before your arrival at UCO to cover personal liability, property damage, etc.

  • Transportation

  • Getting to Angers

    Angers is 1h30 from Paris by T.G.V. ─ the French high-speed train. A single ticket will cost you from 45€ to 90€ depending on travel times. Some trains run directly from the Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport to Angers, but you may also choose a train leaving from the Gare Montparnasse in the centre of Paris. For further information see the SNCF (the French national railway company) website: SNCF.

    The nearest airport is Nantes (40 minutes from Angers by train).

    Getting around Angers

    The A’tout city pass

    A’tout is issued in the name of the card holder only and will give you access to Angers’ transportation system Irigo (bus, tram, the self-serve bike system Vélocité and its equivalent for cars Autocité+) as well as municipal services such as libraries, swimming pools, skating rink…

    How do I subscribe?

    Go to one of Angers Irigo agencies with:

    • A valid identity document
    • A proof of residence that is less than three months old (utility bill, rent receipt…)
    • A standard passport photograph (size 30x40mm, bare face, and plain background)

    It can be done at all ticket vending machines located either on tram station platforms or at Irigo agencies and sale outlets. The student fare for a monthly travel pass is 29 € in 2019.

    Buses and trams

    The Irigo bus and tram system operates an extended service around the city and beyond.
    Single ticket (2019 fares): 1.40 € (1.50 € from the bus driver)
    Other fares


    Monday to Friday, 7.00 am to 7.00 pm
    Saturday, 9.00 am to 6.00 pm
    By phone : 00 33 (0)2 41 33 64 64
    Or by filling a form


    Angers has implemented a free bicycle rental system reserved for people over the age of 18 who live or work in Angers
    Supporting documents to be provided:

    • A valid identity document
    • Your bank account details (French bank)
    • A proof of residence that is less than three months old (utility bill, rent receipt…)


    You can collect your bike at the following address:
    Agence Centre-ville / Gare
    6, rue de la Gare - Angers
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 18 13 21 - mail
    Tuesday to Friday, 9.30 am to 6.30 pm
    (Closed from 12.30 to 1.30 pm during the school holidays)   

  • Étudiante étrangère dans le hall du Palais Universitaire du campus UCO Angers


    Health services

    UCO’s nurse’s office is located in the Jeanneteau building.

    Student preventive medicine

    The preventive medicine office offers free consultations. It is located on 2 boulevard Victor Beaussier in Angers
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 36 52 10


    In France, every citizen is free to choose his / her own GP.         
    However you should be aware that GPs fall into two categories:

    • Contracted doctors: they have signed an agreement with the French social security scheme. The cost of a visit to the GP’s office is 25 € while you should expect to pay a minimum of 33 € for a specialist consultation. Also consider there will be an extra charge for home visits, day or night, as well as on Sundays and Bank holidays.
    • Private doctors: their fees are much higher.
    What should I do if I am ill?

    The first step would be to go to the UCO’s nurse’s office. They will help you make an appointment with a doctor.
    Before consulting a doctor for the very first time, you should fill in a “referring doctor” form so the general practitioner can also fill in his/her part during the consultation.
    If the doctor writes a prescription for you to obtain medicine from a pharmacy, you may have to pay for this immediately. It is therefore important that you keep all proof of payment so that you can get refunded.


    Non-UE students have to send to the following address: CPAM - service international - 32, rue Louis Gain - 49000 ANGERS:

    • All evidence of payment

    • The treatment form (given by the GP)
    • The copy of their European Health Insurance Card (or EHIC)
    • The referring doctor form
    • Your bank account details (French bank)

    UE-students get a refund from the medical insurance of their own country.

    The national health insurance scheme provides from 15% to 70% coverage for health expenses. The money will be transferred directly onto your French bank account. Additional reimbursement is obtained from the complementary student health insurance.

    Students with disabilities

    If you have a disability or a condition requiring special needs and wish to study at UCO, please contact Béatrice Bernard-Gay as soon as possible. She will ask you to let her know by email the specific arrangements implemented in your home university to satisfy those needs.

  • Étudiants campus UCO Angers

    Student life, clubs & societies

    International society (AI)

    AI offers a welcome to foreign students at UCO.

    • Reception on arrival in September and January
    • Assistance through the administrative procedures
    • Answering all practical questions that may arise in daily life
    • Runs a mentoring programme and organizes "Tuesday night conversation-café" hosted by Angers bars in turn so French and international students may socialize over a drink  
    • A potluck international meal once a semester with everyone bringing specialties from their own country

    Get in touch with the AI society

    The Office of cultural exchanges (BEC)

    The BEC aims to give international students the opportunity to meet their French counterparts thanks to parties, cultural events and outings (e.g. International Evening Party). Not to be missed!
    Get in touch with the BEC:
    Meet the BEC: Office P002 (in the Palais universitaire)

    Student Union (BDE & FéDé)

    Each school (faculté) has one or several BDE (Bureau des étudiants) that offer various activities: film clubs, excursions, parties...
    The FéDé (or Fédération des BDE) coordinates all BDEs’ activities.
    Student life also implies commitment in numerous cultural societies and sports clubs:

    • Theatre festival
    • Sustainable development club
    • Classical or Gospel choirs
    • Orchestra
    • Breton dancing
    • Rock bands
    • Sporting activities (ASUCO)

    The FéDé hosts a Bureau of cultural clubs and societies within its own premises.

  • Accommodation in Angers for international students

    UCO’s Housing Office will help you to find the best accommodation solution.

    There are several options you can choose from. Please note that it is advisable to come a week early if you decide to look for accommodation once you have arrived in Angers.

    Coming to UCO as a degree-seeking student?


    The housing office has a list of accommodation with over 500 rooms and flats: single rooms, bedsits, one-room or even larger flats.

    Private halls of residence

    You may also get a room in a private hall of residence. Please make sure you contact them as early as possible to reserve a room.

    Female-only halls of residence

    Foyer de l’Esviere
    2 bis, rue de l’Esvière – 49100 ANGERS
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 88 94 25 – Fax: 00 33 (0)2 41 88 39 62 –
    Foyer Merici
    62, rue Mirabeau – 49000 ANGERS
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 25 35 00 – Fax: 00 33 (0)2 41 25 35 09 –
    Foyer Marguerite d’Anjou
    52, boulevard du Roi René – 49100 ANGERS
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 20 24 00 – Fax: 00 33 (0)2 41 20 25 00 –

    Male-only hall of residence

    Foyer St Aubin
    22, rue Donadieu de Puycharic – 49100 ANGERS
    Tel: 00 33 (0)9 81 35 25 25 – Fax: 00 33 (0)2 49 87 29 74 –

    Independent housing

    Résidence Cambridge
    77 bis, rue des Ponts de Cé – 49000 ANGERS (male & female)
    Tel: 00 33 (0)2 41 44 02 38 – Fax: 00 33 (0)2 41 44 02 16 -

    Coming to UCO as an exchange student (Erasmus, etc.)?


    All rates include administrative fees. Not included :

    • The guarantee deposit to be paid directly to the landlord upon arrival

    Once the Housing Office has received your homestay request form, it will ask you to pay a booking fee. This fee will not be refunded if you cancel your reservation. The balance shall be paid by bank transfer upon arrival at UCO.


    University halls of residence

    Those rooms are allocated to exchange programme students on a priority basis. If you are coming to UCO as a degree-seeking student, you can be assigned a room only insofar as rooms remain available.

    All about housing